This is one of the most interesting and extensive topics we can think of. It will take us a long time to fully explain it and we will probably miss something again.
Drinking water is one of the first skills we learn in our lives, but it turns out that most of us have never been able to learn how to use it successfully.
Before we talk about when and how much water to drink, let’s think about how valuable it is. Water is one of the most important factors for sustaining life on Earth. It is a well-known fact that it is impossible without water. It makes up 70% of the human body and is just as important as oxygen. It is the most natural and healthy thing we consume. It not only quenches the thirst of every cell, but also cleanses the harmful toxins.
All life processes in the human body are dependent on water.
It helps to:
- dissolves food groups.
- helps to remove waste products from the body.
- thus water is an environment in which many biochemical processes take place.
We answered the question of how important water is, but there are still many mysteries. One of them is how much water we should drink per day. We can look at the issue in several ways. One of them is that it is depending on age. The amount of water in the bodies of babies and children is greater than that of adults. Gender also matters.
Women have a lower percentage of water than men. The daily intake of water by a person of normal weight is calculated according to his weight. Overweight people have a lower percentage of water than normal people.
Large amounts of body water people lose in their daily activities, through sweating and because of the functions of the kidneys and intestines. They must be obtained back. Otherwise the body is not hydrated and this can lead to drying of the body.
Dehydration is expressed by:
- dryness in the oral cavity
- dry lips
- cracking of the skin and even rashes (in rare cases).
Most people can tolerate a 3-4% drop in total body water without difficulty and without adverse health consequences. A drop of 5-8% can lead to fatigue and dizziness, and a drop of over 10% leads to physical and mental fatigue and severe thirst. Between 15 and 25% lack of water death occurs in the body. Dehydration leads to hypernatremia – high levels of sodium ions in the blood. To avoid such situations we should drink between 1.5 and 2 liters of water a day. The formula that comes closest to the truth is 30 ml for every kilogram of body weight.
For example, if we weigh 50 kg -> 50×30 = 1500 ml / day, ie a liter and a half per day.
However, the easiest way to answer – as much as we drink. It is only important that it is neither too little (dehydration) nor too much (causes stress on the heart and kidneys). We do not take the entire amount from drinking water.
Purified water can be obtained from fruits such as watermelon and vegetables such as cucumber. Foods and drinks that contain salt, sugar and sodium make us feel unquenchable thirsty and consume more water.
Here are some interesting facts about water that will encourage you to prefer to consume it more often:
- Carbonated drinks, coffee, tea, although they contain large amounts of water, also contain It can act as a mild diuretic to prevent water from reaching the necessary places in the body.
- By the time a person feels thirsty, his body has lost 1% of its water supply.
- The weight that a person loses after strenuous physical activity is from lost water, not fat.
- Water helps maintain normal body weight. It helps regulate metabolism and appetite. Therefore, when dieting, it is a good idea to drink water from a safe mineral spring to ensure good results.
- Drinking adequate amounts of water can reduce the risk of certain cancers – colon cancer, blood cancer, and breast cancer.
- Water leads to better health because it washes away waste products, bacteria and viruses. It is no coincidence that in viral diseases it is recommended to drink more water.
- Water can protect you or reduce headaches. (For headaches, drink a glass of warm water – this will dilate your blood vessels and help the blood reach the brain.)
After calculating how much water we should drink, we ask ourselves the question – at what time to drink it?
- After waking up – A glass of water early in the morning helps the body to become more active. It hydrates the body, which has become dehydrated during night sleep. In addition, it stimulates the metabolism and activates the work of all internal organs.
An added bonus is that by drinking water before putting any food in your mouth, you cleanse yourself of accumulated toxins.
- Before eating – Many people make the mistake of drinking water while eating, thinking that this is how food intake is easier. In reality, this is how they harm each other. Thus the stomach swells and digestive juices and enzymes are diluted.
The correct time to drink water is 30 minutes before each meal. In this way we inform our stomach to prepare for work. Another positive side is that this way you can lose weight with water, if you have set such a goal, because water before meals reduces appetite.
- An hour after a meal – If you have not taken a glass of water before a meal, then probably after it your thirst is very great. Immediately before meals is also an inappropriate time to drink fluids. An hour after a meal is the perfect time for a dose of In this way, digestion is also stimulated.
Before and during training – Athletes and physically active people know how refreshing water is. It matters a lot when they accept it. It has been found that fluids take about an hour to reach the muscles. Remember this important step before your workout. However, water helps to optimize effort and burn fat. Be careful with before and especially after, because water affects heart activity and can have adverse effects such as bloating and nausea.
Before bed – About an hour before bed it is good to drink another glass of water. While you sleep, your body loses a certain amount of fluids. However, water will help prevent this loss and help cell regeneration during the night’s rest. And it will save you from waking up from thirst.
It is important to remember to drink water. Bring a bottle of water to remind you. Another option is a phone reminder. And yet these actions are up to building the habit, then by itself you will anticipate thirst.
If you follow the above tips, you will not only get enough water for your body to be well hydrated, metabolism – increased, and fat burning – activated, but you will also know how much and at what time to use it. drink to get the most out of it.