How many times a day do we eat?
How many times a day do we eat?

How often we eat during the day can be as important as what we eat. Some think we should eat small meals all day; others hold tight to only three meals without snacks in between. According to many experts and nutritionists, however, eating breakfast in the morning and 5-6 small meals a day enhances metabolism and helps burn fat.

 

What the experts say:

 

Dr. Keith Kreutz of St. Mary’s Medical Center

Bariatric Medicine

 

How much food you need to eat each day depends on your personal needs.

You just have to eat when you are hungry. People get used to eating on a schedule rather than necessarily so they are more likely to consume more and to gain weight which can lead to metabolic diseases such as sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes and other.

How many times a day do we eat?

Manuel Vilacorta from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

 

There are many controversial studies at the moment about how we should eat. Some say we should eat three meals a day, while others say we should eat five or six meals a day.

 

For many people three whole meals is no longer enough. These days, many of us wake up at 5:00 in the morning or stay up until midnight. Plus, we work harder and use more energy. In addition, unfortunately, our foods are nutrient-poor and toxic, such as pesticides, herbicides, fangutsites and more. used for rapid growth of fruits and vegetables.

 

The fruits are harvested before they are ripe and reach their full usefulness level, etc. So it would be healthier to eat every three to four hours to control ghrelin (the hunger hormone) and get the necessary substances to support our body.

 

Dr. Mehmet Oz

Cardiology (cardiovascular disease)

 

The best way to maintain your energy levels and good metabolism is to eat 5 times a day, every 3-4 hours. Instead of starving while your lunch or dinner is brewing and resorting to something unhealthy, take 3 balanced meals and 2 small snacks in between. The snacks should have a little fiber and a little protein to make you feel full for a longer time.

 

Good options include a handful of raw nuts, fruit, sliced ​​vegetables, low-fat yogurt, or a spoonful of whole peanut butter over whole grain cookies. Always prepare a healthy and tasty breakfast to avoid chips or donuts.

 

Michaela Balman

Nutrition and dietetics

 

The answer to this question will vary from person to person, depending on your lifestyle, nature of activity, work schedule and more. The only thing that doesn’t change is the need for a healthy breakfast during the day  and the need to eat balanced meals. For some three meals a day, they meet their needs and provide them with enough energy for their daily activities. However, others who exercise for an extended period of time before the day may need fuel before or after exercise. It all depends on you and your lifestyle.

 

How many times a day do we eat?

Cassie Vanderwal

Nutrition and dietetics

 

The number of meals you receive daily depends on your energy needs and schedule. It is best to eat at least 3 times a day. For most people, this would mean 3 meals a day, but others find that it is best for them to eat 6 meals a day or 6 small meals.

 

A registered nutritionist can give you individual recommendations and help you create a personalized meal plan based on your energy needs, activity level and lifestyle.

How many times a day do we eat?

Kelly Shaughnessy

Nutrition and dietetics

 

Studies show that for your metabolism it may be better to eat three small meals and two to three snacks in between. Breakfast was very helpful and should not be missed. Another reason to eat three small meals and snacks in between is not to overeat.

 

If you wait until the afternoon to accept your first meal of the day you will probably overeat during your afternoon meal because you will be too hungry. The same situation is likely to occur if you eat breakfast and do not eat again until dinner . The result of overeating is weight gain.

 

Doreen Rhodes

Nutrition and dietetics

 

You should only eat if you are hungry, unless you are diabetic with a specific diet plan or prone to hypoglycemia.

 

Louise Goldberg

Nutrition and dietetics

 

I usually recommend that people go without food for longer than 4 to 5 hours a day so that their blood sugar does not fall. However, you do not need to limit yourself to the traditional meal plan – breakfast, lunch and dinner. Listen to the individual signals of your body and react when you feel hungry. Include a full meal + a few snacks. It’s up to you as long as you don’t skip eating.

How many times a day do we eat?

Molly Morgan

Nutrition and dietetics

Customize your eating routine to the rhythm of your life! Ideally, your meal plan should include several “mini meals” throughout the day. You can follow: breakfast – snack – lunch – snack – dinner.

 

Do you notice the lack of breakfast after dinner?

 

This is the time of day when eating can be pointless and portion sizes expand beyond moderation! If you still want to eat something but also avoid a mountain of ice cream at this time, a good option is air-popcorn popcorn or 1/2 cup Bulgarian yogurt with sliced ​​fruits. This will help you avoid the amount of your calories but feel full.

 

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

 

One argument we see very often is that people need to eat often to balance their blood sugar levels. Eating large meals is thought to lead to rapid increases and decreases in blood sugar, while eating smaller and more frequent meals stabilizes blood sugar levels throughout the day. However, this is not supported by science.

 

Even less frequent meals have been shown to maintain satiety and reduce hunger compared to more frequent meals. Studies in both humans and animals show that periodic fasting has different health benefits including lower glucose, lower insulin and various other benefits.

 

Longer fasting also triggers a cellular process of purification called autophagy in which the body’s cells clear away the waste products that accumulate in the tissues and cause premature aging and disease. Skipping lunch (for example) from time to time can improve blood sugar control and help you lose weight.

How many times a day do we eat?

What time should we eat?

 

Trying to think of the best time to eat can be confusing, and researchers are looking at whether it makes sense at all. One study shows that those who have a late lunch (after 3:00 pm) lose less weight than early eaters. This study also found no difference in weight loss over breakfast and dinner.

 

Limiting when you eat can reduce your total calorie intake by 244, according to another study. This is most likely due to the fact that they consume less calories due to less time spent eating. Longer fasting at night can also help with fat loss as your body has time to convert fat into energy.

 

Chewing problems and upset stomach

 

If you have problems with your chewing gum or stomach, you may have problems eating fresh fruits, vegetables or meat.

 

What to do in these cases:

 

  • Try other foods
  • Instead of fresh fruit, try fruit juices; soft canned fruits such as apple mousse, peaches and pears.
  • Instead of raw vegetables, try vegetable juices, cooked mashed vegetables
  • Instead of mince and other high-protein foods such as eggs, milk, cheese and yogurt, try foods prepared with them like soups.
  • Instead of bread, try cooked cereals, rice, soft cookies.

How many times a day do we eat?

Snacks the right way

 

While choosing good foods and keeping your portion sizes under control, frequent snacks can help you lose weight. The simplest strategy is to mix portion control with protein and fiber to make you feel full.

 

Prepare light snacks such as:

 

  • Fresh fruit with low-fat cheese
  • Raw vegetables with humus
  • Whole grain crackers with a slice of low-fat cheese
  • 1/4 cup mixture of nuts and dried fruits
  • 1 cup low fat yogurt with fresh fruits and nuts of your choice

 

3g (grams) of total fat in one serving of this food provides 5% fat per day. Divide the remaining 95% fat  evenly throughout the day if you are on a normal diet. 300 mg (milligrams) of sodium provide 13% of the day, leaving 87% of the sodium that is allowed for consumption that day on a normal diet.

 

In conclusion

 

The number of foods you consume does not make such a huge difference to what you eat. Fill your plate with lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein sources. Quality, calories and portion sizes ultimately produce the results you need.

 

There are no well-proven health benefits for eating more often, but you may find that it is good for you according to your lifestyle. The most important thing is to eat when you are hungry and when you are not hungry. Do not complicate matters if you really do not need food. Listen to your body’s signals – it is the only true indicator of when to take your next meal.

Leave a Reply