In recent years, all of us have heard of the so-called method of ketogenic (in short – keto) diet and its high efficiency. These diets have become quite popular mainly because of their relative ease of implementation.
Due to the fact that there are a number of delicious and nutritious “keto” foods, this is a regime that not only helps us to sculpt a better figure, but also does not have to go hungry, always tired and worried about our health. does not weaken faster than ourselves.
According to their eating profile some people do not feel deprived of anything during such a diet, on the contrary – they perceive it as a great opportunity to emphasize some of their favorite products!
In practice, the ketogenic regime relies on the efficiency of a biochemical process, called ketogenesis, in which fatty acids are broken down. For this purpose, the body must be provided with specific amounts of fat, protein and very few carbohydrates, so that we can stimulate the process. And he needs an increased intake of mostly fat, little protein and very few carbohydrates.
This distribution suggests intake of very fatty but healthy foods such as nuts, avocados, flaxseed and hemp seeds and oil, coconuts, unrefined coconut oil, olives and olive oil, chia seeds, mayonnaise, whole milk products such as cheese, yogurt, butter, and oily fish such as anchovies, salmon, tuna. Eggs as a source of protein are great.
Avoid legumes such as beans, lentils, peas, all kinds of grains such as rice, pasta, oatmeal, as well as low-fat dairy products. Added sugars and sweeteners should be kept to a minimum, as well as most fruits (with the exception of lemon, lime, you can eat a little blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.). Most types of alcohol are prohibited.
Although they are all based on restricting carbohydrates mostly at the expense of fat, ketogenic diets are divided into several types. For best results, we need to choose the right keto diet that fits our lifestyle.
The three main types of ketogenic diet are low-carbohydrate, cyclic and targeted:
- Multi-low carb keto diet – this is practically the standard ketogenic regime. Many people refer to it when using the term “keto diet”.
- Cyclic keto diet – this includes the tactics of dirty (cheat) days, in which we eat more carbohydrates than usual. The scheme can be applied by alternating five keto days with two dirty ones, during which we eat foods with a higher carbohydrate content.
A cyclic diet is extremely suitable for people who do sports. Because exercise loses its glycogen stores during exercise, we need to give them enough rest to recover.
- Targeted keto diet is something like a hybrid modification between the standard ketogenic regime and the cyclic keto diet. The key here is to consume the planned amounts of carbohydrates purposefully around the time when we exercise.
The concept of strategically targeted carbohydrate intake is based on the fact that in this way they will be absorbed as quickly and efficiently by the body, while providing it with the energy needed for physical effort.
The standard keto diet, in turn, has several subtypes:
- The formulated or well-formulated, also called strict keto diet was introduced by experts on the topic of ketogenic regimens. This diet is quite similar to the standard scheme, with the difference that it takes real time to calculate the proportions of trace elements contained in substances that we take.
In this way we are looking for the perfect proportion to provoke ketogenesis. In general, most keto diets assume a ratio of fat, protein and carbohydrates of 70-80%: 10-20%: 5-10%. A strict keto diet is used to treat the symptoms of epilepsy.
- MCT keto – this diet is based on the intake of foods with medium chain triglycerides (MCT). They are used because of their ability to maintain the course of ketogenesis even in not very correct proportions of carbohydrates and proteins. In this way, they make it even easier for us to comply with our keto regime, even in the conditions of hectic everyday life in an urban environment.
When time constraints and limited access to specific products in supermarkets often interfere with our plans for a formulated ketogenic diet, we can rely on medium chain triglycerides to maintain the effect of our regimen. A great natural source of MCT is coconut oil. Concentrated MCT oil and emulsions can also be found in specialty stores.
We must be careful when taking these supplements, because they can irritate the stomach if overdosed. The best approach is to distribute a balanced fat in your diet to MCT-containing and MCT-free. People under 18 and over 35 should consult a doctor when planning to start a keto diet.
- Ketogenic diet with limited energy intake – here we add to our standard diet scheme our well-known approach to counting calories. Even in this case, however, following a ketogenic diet is a little easier than any other – because taking fat, we are much more saturated and do not feel the urgent need to “eat” with other things. Real From the point of view, by limiting energy intake we can get the expected results an idea earlier, but in practice we will not lose more weight.
- If you need to lose weight, you can try keto diet high in protein. Here the ratio is 35% protein, 60% fat and 5% carbohydrates. The high-protein keto formula is especially suitable for bodybuilders. If you are under 18 or over 35, undergo a preventive examination and consult a nutritionist before undergoing this modification.
Bonus for the undisciplined! Lazy keto diet
And what if we are not ready to subject ourselves and our body to the enormous stress of a strict diet? Maybe we want to try first the effect of reducing carbohydrate intake. In addition, modern life often puts us in situations , which is rude or even rude to refuse a certain treat, and the refusal of whole food groups sometimes costs us fun gatherings with friends with an emphasis on food, most often fast and harmful.
The lazy version of the ketogenic diet comes to the rescue! It is ideal for young organisms, but also for people who just want to optimize their diet.
In general, this diet only requires that we reduce our carbohydrate intake to less than 50 g per day, without having to monitor other groups of substances to such an extent. This may not work for some people, but for others it is vital to maintain freedom in their diet, even at the expense of sometimes discipline.
What should we keep in mind when following keto diets?
The risk prerequisites for following keto diets can be:
- low blood pressure,
- heart problems
- kidney stones
- pancreatic problems
- thyroid gland,
- liver and other organs.
When improperly planned and followed, diet can lead to nutrient deficiencies and even eating disorders.
Ketogenic diets should not be followed for too long Consult your doctor and dietitian to help you choose the most appropriate form of regimen for you.
If you are in a risk group and special care is needed when implementing the regime, consider the possibility of going on a healthy vacation to lose weight.
This way you will be able to combine the diet with many more useful and fun activities that will accelerate the effect on the figure and at the same time help to protect your health. Under the supervision of health experts, nutritionists and personal trainers you will be able to walk safely and quickly the way to your new life.