Anyone who is interested in a healthy lifestyle has probably heard of the benefits of the detoxification. There is no doubt that the contaminated modern environment in which we live, disrupts the natural functions of our body by satiating it with toxic substances and poisons.
Our body and our liver, in particular, have the natural function to clear the body from these substances. But when their quantity is greater, our liver finds it difficult and this is the moment when it needs help from outside. The detox has become quite popular during the last years as an effective method of body cleansing, but does it really help?
What is in fact detox?
The detox therapy includes daily intake of freshly squeezed juices, shakes, smoothies, as well as intake of raw natural foods such as vegetable salads, steamed vegetables, sprouts, seeds, beans, and cereals.
The period of a detox therapy can be 3, 5, 7 or 10 days depending on the person’s individual needs of detoxification. There are different detox programs.
The detox may consist of 2 days’ intake of freshly squeezed juices and 5 days’ intake of healthy food. Everyone needs a different period of time for detox The complete purification of the blood in the body takes time.
What are the benefits of the detox therapy?
The main objective of the detox is to purify the entire body, its overall restoration, and nourishment of the cells. Through the elimination of toxins and harmful substances from our body, and through its subsequent nourishment with valuable nutrients, we prevent our body from diseases and restore its defense power, as well as its ability for a self-healing.
A correctly completed detox leads to purification of the blood. The liver is responsible for the blood purification, so, the detox, accordingly, plays a key role in the improvement of its function of the destruction of toxic substances, that the body does not need.
During the detox, the body also gets rid of the toxins in the kidney, lungs, the lymph and the skin. However, when the function of these systems is impaired, the impure substances, accordingly, are not filtered properly and they affect negatively our health.
The detox stimulates our body capabilities for self-purification from toxins (self-detoxification). The detox not only improves the function of the liver, but it also gives a rest to the body organs, improves the circulation and gives the necessary nutrients to the body. The detox therapy is a working method, as it purifies and nourishes the body to its tiniest constituents – the cells.
How to understand if we need detox
One of the common symptoms of satiating the body with toxins are the chronic fatigue, delayed function of the digestive system and emptying the stomach, allergies, often catching colds and infections, cough, catarrh, skin irritations, skin problems such as herpes , pimples, red spots, bags under the eyes, bloated stomach, lack of concentration and mental focus, pain in muscles, joints, thorax, stomach, headache, hair loss, brittle nails, problems with menstrual cycle.
The specialists recommend detoxification to be done at least once a year Detox is not recommended during breastfeeding, also, to children and people suffering from degenerative diseases, cancer or tuberculosis. Before you start a detox therapy, it is still advisable to consult a doctor, if it is a suitable method for you, especially in case you have a disease.
The first steps toward the detox
What should we start doing, if we want to have a detox?
- To drink more water per day (recommended are from 6 to 8 cups per day to maintain a good hydration). The water is perhaps one of the most effective and most affordable detoxification means that everybody can have.
- To start the day with a cup of warm water and fresh lemon juice. (It is recommended that we should wait for some time to pass until we awake and then to eat our first meal) This habit starts the work of our digestive system and stimulates the metabolism ever since the very beginning of the day.
- To avoid salt and processed food such as sausages, dairy products, confectionery, which will give our body a rest. If we are going to eat meat, it should be fish or chicken without the skin.
We can eat curd and natural yogurt, rich in probiotics that stimulate the good digestion and are natural immune boosters.
- Fruit juices in boxes are not suitable for detox, as their content of sugar and preservatives does not make them healthy.
- To eat more of the most natural foods, such as vegetables and fruits of local production; A seasonal produce is preferable. Broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, algae, beetroot, artichokes, cabbage, radishes, are recommended foods for purification of the body.
- To have tea from the root of the dandelion, burdock, thistle and green tea
- To include in our menu foods rich in fiber, blueberries, pears, plums, apples.
- To increase the intake of vitamin C, as it helps the body to produce glutathione – tripeptide, which is an important antioxidant in our body; it exists in each cell and helps for the elimination of the harmful substances.
- To add in our menu raw nuts and seeds, avocado, rich in good fats. Chia seeds are a recommended option because they contain protein, Omega-3 fatty acids and are easy for digestion.
- To eat wholеgrain foods such as oats, brown rice, which give fibers to the body.
- To eat beans such as chick-peas, soy beans, lentil, which are rich sources of protein.
- To reduce the intake of alcohol and all drinks, containing caffeine like coffee, tea, and coca-cola, as they dehydrate our body.
It is best to do it 1-2 weeks before the start of the detox therapy.
- To avoid smoking.
- To give up the intake of refined sugar and the saturated fats, as they affect our body in a toxic way and slow down its recovery process.
- To avoid the use of strong home cleaning chemicals.
- To choose natural cosmetic body-care products, such as organic shampoos, deodorants, soaps, toothpaste, decorative cosmetics.
- To breathe deeply, as this will contribute to the charging of our body with oxygen and consequently to its better purification.
- Try hydrotherapy.
Take a 5-minute warm-water shower, and then switch to cold water for 30 seconds. Repeat this three times and lie in bed for 30 minutes.
- To go to the sauna, as sweating effectively removes the toxins from the skin.
- To have peeling, which improves the circulation and helps for the skin purification through the pores.
- To do sports Whether we will choose Yoga, pilates, rope jumping or simply a walk amidst nature, only one hour of movement per day is enough to improve the circulation and to help the removal of toxins from the body.