Have you ever wondered why overweight experts recommend going to a weight loss clinic? Why nobody recommends following a diet which is super popular at the moment, but people encourage you to find a specialist who will keep track of your process of weight loss at all times?
The answer is actually very simple. If you have gained a few kilograms during the holidays, for example, you can deal with this on your own by just limiting the amount of food or the types of foods that you eat, and to increase the physical activity.
However, if you suffer from obesity or overweight, trying to deal with this on your own is unthinkable.
Why it is not recommended to try to lose weight on your own if you are overweight?
The truth is that the reasons that have led to the accumulation of many kilograms can be many, so without the required medical examination and constant supervision by a specialist, the weight loss can not only be impossible, but also life-threatening.
Therefore, every clinic specialized in weight loss approaches very carefully with the overweight patients, requiring them to undergo prior medical examinations before checking in into the clinic, as these examinations will provide a clear information about the health condition of the patient.
What medical examinations are required before joining the weight loss program?
Each specialized clinic requires the submission of basic and additional (depending on the clinic) examinations, the most important of which are:
Analysis of the body mass and composition
This medical analysis include:
- Measuring the content of fats in the organism (i.e. the total mass of fat cells in the body);
- Active cellular mass (this includes the muscle mass of the muscles, organs, bones, excluding the water). The active mass percentage provides information about the physical activity, nutrition and it is an indicator of the energy balance.
- Metabolic assessment, or in other words examination on how much energy is required for the organism in order to absorb a certain amount of food. Based on this assessment, the dieticians can prepare an individual nutrition regimen for the patient.
- Determination of the water content in the body. This includes total water mass, extracellular and intracellular liquids. Determining the index of water content is important because it shows whether the patient has an imbalance of water-electrolyte metabolism.
The diagnostics of the patient’s body composition gives an opportunity to the dieticians not only to specify the time that will be required in order to reduce the overweight, but also to specify the degree of obesity and to provide the most effective diet for the specific patient.
These medical examinations can be performed in every medical laboratory and they most often include:
- Determination of the level of leptin in the blood – a hormone regulating the energy metabolism;
- Complete blood count;
- Examination of the thyroid gland. Most overweight people have problems with the thyroid gland. If the function of the thyroid gland is reduced, weight loss will be impossible or very difficult to achieve, this will be only possible when the function of this gland is normalized.
- Hemoglobin analysis (Increased levels of hemoglobin are indication that there is a carbohydrate metabolism disorder);
- General hormonal analysis. The hormonal analysis provide information to the specialists related to the produced amounts by the body of estradiol, prolactin, testosterone, cortisol and others, in order to understand what prevents you from losing weight. If, for example, the tests show increased production of cortisol, this leads to accumulation of increased fat tissue in the abdomen area.
- Analysis of the insulin resistance. This assessment is required because the insulin provides the penetration of glucose from the bloodstream into the body cells. Thanks to this process, your body obtains the required energy from the food that you eat. Sometimes, however, this mechanism breaks down and the following occurs: The cells don’t get enough „food” so they require you to eat more and more. You eat but you cells want more and more food, and thus an excess of insulin occurs and the consumed food accumulates as fatty deposits in your organism.
Therefore, if the results from your tests show similar insulin resistance, this is a signal for the specialists that you have to undergo a treatment and to normalize the insulin levels, if you wish to lose weight.
Echography of the internal organs
These medical tests usually include ultrasound of the organs of the abdominal cavity (spleen, gallbladder, liver, pancreas).
Electrocardiography of the heart is a very important medical test, because the risk of cardiovascular diseases increases drastically when the person is overweight. When weight increases, most often occur dystrophic changes in the cardiac muscle, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, atherosclerosis and other diseases that the nutritionist has to be familiar with in order to decide whether the patient can be included in the weight loss program or not.
This type of tests are not mandatory for any weight loss clinic, but if possible, it is desirable to be done, because the genetic analysis can show precisely to which food groups you are genetically predisposed, to which you have intolerance, and what types of food you can eat without gaining weight.
Based on the DNA analysis, the specialists of the weight loss clinic can prepare for you an individual weight loss regimen.
Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR)
This test is not mandatory, but it is recommended, because the diseases of the spine and joints are very common for people who are overweight. The most common pathology is a damage of the intervertebral discs and the cartilage, which leads to arthrosis and osteochondrosis.
If similar diseases are found in overweight patients, they have to undergo a treatment parallel with the process of weight loss. For the purpose of an adequate treatment, specialists have to be aware of the extent of the damage, as they have to adapt the regimen of physical activities of the patient with his physical load capacity.
Prior to entering the weight loss clinic, in addition to these tests and analysis, you should also provide a medical opinion made by your personal physician, and also epicrisis of the diseases (if such exist).
Why all these medical tests and analysis are required?
Successful overweight treatment is impossible without knowing the disorders that most likely exist in your organism and which have led to the accumulation of so many kilograms.
In order to create the best weight loss program, the specialists need to be aware of such information about your body and your diseases.
Depending on the information they receive from the medical tests and after a conversation with you, the dieticians can prepare an individual weight loss program, that is effective and without causing a yo-yo effect.
The proper nutrition regimen, which weight loss clinics observe, includes the following briefly specified elements:
- Detailed medical analysis;
- Preparation of an individual program for the patient, the goal of which is not to minimize the food intake, but to teach the patient to achieve a self-control and to learn how, on his own, to select and combine properly the foods in a way which is the most healthy for him;
- Physical excersises in accordance with the condition and physical capacities of the patient.
Is there any effect of the participation in the weight loss program?
You have probably heard different opinions on how effective these programs are and maybe you ask yourself whether to sign up or not. The truth is that the weight loss clinics are not created without a specific reason. They are created in order to effectively help people who are overweight or obese, who can‘t find any other way to resolve the problem with their weight.
Weight loss programs are developed individually according to the information that is obtained from the patient and from the medical tests, therefore more than 90% of the people who have participated in the program, have a visible effect.
The healthy weight loss, which is applied in the specialized clinics, is complied with the individuality of the patient, and moreover, it includes a specially developed nutritional regimen and a lot of movement, relaxation therapies and excursions, and of course fun for all participants in the program.
The physical activities load is different for every patient and it is determined by the medical tests, performed upon signing up for the program, and are complied with the condition of the patient and the way he feels after he enters the program.
No one says that by participating in the specialized program you will lose kilograms easily. No one says also that after going out of the clinic, without observing a particular regimen of nutrition, you won’t gain back your kilograms.
We just say that if you need help in the weight loss process it is best to be aware of how this problem occurred, and of whether the obesity is due to a hormonal imbalance, stress or due to any other disease, for which you may not even know.
Can’t you just lose weight on your own by observing strict diets?
No! We are categorical about this, because if you suffer from obesity this can be even life-threatening! Any diet, whether is too strict or not, causes stress to the organism. Moreover, for people who need to lose just a few kilograms, the stress is high, so for really overweight people the stress is double, even triple.
Without a special weight loss program, without being aware of the reasons that have caused the accumulation of kilograms, and without the constant monitoring by a specialist, the weight loss can be not only ineffective and lasting for a short-time period, but you may also get a bunch of additional health problems.
Obesity and overweight are very serious health problems that should not be treated carelessly or irresponsibly. To have such a problem, this means that there are reasons for its occurrence, and without knowing whether these reasons are physical, psichological or of other nature, no specialist won’t recommend you to deal with this problem on your own.